New Britain Fire Department History

NBFD Historical (4).jpg
NBFD Historical (1).jpg

The New Britain Fire Department became an organized fire department in 1833.  All 112 members were
volunteers and the department consisted of a bucket brigade with hand-drawn carriages and ladders, as
its best means of fighting fires.


​In June of 1873, fifty (50) years later, the New Britain Fire Department became a “Paid” department
including 92 men which consisted of three paid hose companies with 12 men each, one paid hook & ladder company with 20 men, and three paid on call specials companies with 12 men each. ​


Today the NBFD protects 13.4 square miles, which is densely populated with just over 73,000 residents.
The New Britain Fire Department currently has six fire stations that house eight companies (six engines
& two ladders), while currently staffing a hundred and thirty personnel.


 From the volunteer bucket brigade of 1833, to the fully established department of today, the New
Britain Fire Department is a story of slow, but steady progress.  The transition from a department of
hand drawn pumpers, horse drawn carts and steamers, to the present day modern apparatus makes the
New Britain Fire Department a prime example of what a proactive and progressive fire department looks
like.

 

 

Recent Call Volume

2016 - 6,129 calls

2017 - 6,340 calls

2018 - 7,215 calls

2019 - 7, 321 calls